Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kids still pass those out?!

My son has been sick so I’ve kept him home from school the past few weeks (nursery school). Last week someone from school called to check on him last me and thankfully reminded to bring non-specific (AKA don’t put names on them) valentines for all his classmates. The Valentines Day party was scheduled for last Thursday.
Craaap! Really?!
So out I go, the day before the Valentine’s Day party to look for little kid valentines. I had not yet even decided if he was well enough to go back to school, so I run to CVS down the street and bought whatever they had. Luckily they had some cute little CARS cards.
Wait, there are only 8 cards in a pack and 2 of them have the girl car on them. Shit. I never really noticed any girls in my sons nursery school class.
Really, I remember the director saying on the first day there was an unusual number of boys in my son’s class.
Ok, think…..Oh! There is the cute little girl with the glass! So cute! There must be at least one more girl……
I would try asking my son how many girls are in his class but let’s be serious, he barely remembers their names.
*sigh* Just buy two packs. I know there are at least 12 kinds in his class anyway.

My instructions were to not address the cards to specific kids so instead I just put a G in the corner of the girl cards. Would a little 3 year old boy want a Sally card? Well my son ended up missing the party. Still too sick. Today was his first day back at school. YAY! We’ve been driving each other nuts. When I picked him up he had a bag full of goodies that they made for him at the party. First thing we did when we got home is dig out all the candy. Ha! Thought I was going to say look at the cards, didn’t you. Nope. I had point out there were cards.
Wow I think as I start going through the cards I’m the lazy mom. Great.
I brought in the cards we bought in case the teacher still wanted to hand them out. Our little 2x2 card with nothing special besides my sons name in the from section. All the cards my son got……every freakin’ one of them had some sort of treat attached to them, one of those lollipop rings, a couple boxes of the stupid little hearts, heart lollipop, gummy-something-or-other, and microwave popcorn. Someone actually built a card around individual bags of microwave popcorn! Can you believe that?! And what did I do? Instead of licking the envelopes I put a sticker on the back. I thought I was being so creative. I’ve got a lot to learn.

3 comments:

Holli said...

And yet another reason I don't have a kid!! I'm not Martha Stewart creative AT ALL and apparently that's a mom requirement nowadays huh? I would fail miserably at those kid related tasks......

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Come on now! You know you have to keep up with the Jones' on ALL things! I made little goody bags too this year - but I cut the tops off of ziploc sandwich bggies to save $ on bags and threw a couple pieces of candy in each bag and tied with a ribbon. But there were mostly just the traditional lollipops and gummies with the cards. No popcorn DAMN!

Thauna said...

LOL, I used to have those same damn thoughts when my kids were little. I'd grap something at the last minute and it would usually be lame. Another lazy mom here...