Monday, February 23, 2009

Good Riddance List

I recently read this novel called Good Grief by Lolly Winston. I won’t bother trying to explain the premise of the book because; well I really am not good at it. But in the book, the main character, Sophie mentions a ritual she and her best friend Ruth concocted in college to help get over boyfriends.
They create a
Good Riddance List .
Now, I would love to insert the quote from the book explain the Good Riddance List but alas I returned the book to the library before I remember I wanted to create a list of my own.
Here goes my own explanation. A "good bye" and "I don't need you" to someone. Make a list of person-in-question’s habits that annoyed / repulsed you or ways that, in hind sight, said person was not good for you. Now in the book they did this for boyfriends and ex-husbands but I’m thinking this is a great idea for any person or “it” you want out of your life.

My person is an ex friend. I don’t want to go into explanation. We haven’t spoken in 2 years and I’ve decided I don’t miss her as much as I miss the principle of her. The best friend. And yet, someone told me she too has a Facebook account which I find myself periodically checking to see……to see what? What she’s doing? If she is ok? If she is having more fun then me? WHATEVER!!! I need it to stop! So here comes my

GOOD RIDDANCE LIST

1. You were bitter. You started out a little bitter and as years passed it grew into your core.
2. Your bitterness was infectious.
3. You became horribly depressed and deep down, you did not want to be saved though you blame people for not trying hard enough to save you.
4. Your depression became infectious.
5. You had NO FAITH. None! Not in God, or some other higher being; not in people; not in karma; nothing. You had faith in nothing!
6. You expected the worse and thrived on the bad outcome with an I told you so moment.
7. The grass was always greener in someone else’s yard but no one had it as bad as you. Poor, poor you. The world had done you wrong and you reveled in it.
8. You refused to even try to get past the things that happen in life.
9. You didn’t learn from life.
10. You didn’t believe in change and despised people when they did change. People evolve! Get over it!
11. You always had to be right even when you were so wrong.
12. You always had to argue.
13. You really couldn’t trust anyone.
14. You wouldn’t grow up.
15. You always picked them over me.
16. You secretly resented that I didn’t want to run your life like they did.
17. You shut me out when I was supposed to be there for you
18. Life revolved around you and you alone.
19. You made me pity you. You wanted people to pity you.
20. You made her hate me before she died. That really hurt.
21. You projected your hate of the disease at me.
22. You didn’t try to stay friends.
23. You insulted my kid.
24. You blamed me for things that were not my fault
26. You lied
27. You were manipulative.
28. You were a brat
29. You complain you don’t have a boyfriend and yet you put no effort into your appearance before leaving the house, walk around with a scowl on your face and wouldn’t give a guy the time of day if he ask unless he was Brad Pitt.
30 You made me doubt myself. Doubt the kind of friend I am and strive to be.
31. You wanted/expected other people to make your decisions. Live your own life, not the life someone else tells you to live.

I reserve the right to update this post at any time.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

3 comments:

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

I loved "Good Grief" by Lolly Winston!

I did the same with an ex-friend I found on facebook. Then she actually sent a message/friend request asking if I was... I don't have my maiden name up there and while I was tempted to reply, I didn't (ignored it or whatever) and stopped peeking at her. She's so not someone I need in my life again.

Lizzi said...

What a great way to get all those thoughts that still run around your mind out, Roxy. I can definitely create "A Good Riddance" list for several people and things - including those people who I am still friends with but can't always verbalize my true feelings about. Thanks!

Thauna said...

Wow, this is a great idea...I've been meaning to read that book. I had a friend very similar several years ago and I weeded her from my friend garden, so very draining. I may make a list about my IT...but I don't know.