Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

I'm getting up on my soapbox so get ready, I'm up early today so my ability to think and convey that through type may come out a little scattered or foggy.



Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.
That means honor thy veterans, people!
The past two years I have gone shopping to get my son a patriotic shirt for Memorial Day. Our wonderful little town does a parade that goes right past our house. But as I shop for a red, white & blue shirt with a flag or a patriotic slogan all I find in the boys department are r,w&b shirts with generic sports symbols on them! WHAT THE HELL?!??

Retailers: Memorial Day isn't like the Olympics!!! It is not about sports you, morons!!! It is a day to remember those who have died for our country and honor and thank those who have survived. And say a prayer for those who are still out there fighting!!! Get a freakin' clue!!! Drop the sports crap and make some real patriotic stuff!!!

Yes, Memorial Day has become the "start of the summer season" in a lot of shore towns and yes a lot of us have picnics. Even we host an annual picnic but we all have to stop and remember what this day is really about.

Hang a new flag outside your house.

Thank a veteran

Go to a Memorial Day Parade and applaud and cheer

Make a donation to a veteran or active service member organization

Say a prayer for a solider.


Honor the brave who have fought or are still fighting for our freedom.

"We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led
It seems to signal the skies
That blood of heroes never dies."
- by Moina Michael
Memorial Day Tribute - A salute to the men and woman who have fought for our country.
A video from the History Channel website (forgive the advertisement in the beginning)

3 comments:

Holli said...

Great post Roxy!!

Roxy said...

Thanks, Holli. Its even better now that I've fixed all my spelling mistakes. LOL can't believe I forgot to do that.

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

Awesome post Roxy! Here here! Couldn't have said it better!