My son goes to a Christian pre-school which we are very happy with although....
The God questions have started!
My husband and I are not overly religious people. Its just not who we are right now but we do want our son to have the basic religious education/understanding so we like his pre-school, we read the religion-based children's books my overly religious brother & wife send and encourage saying grace when my son expresses an interest (we don't say it in our house but my in-laws do, some friends and apparently they say it before snack at school). But the questions are freaking me out! He is only 3 and he's got some dousies already!
The other day, while in the middle of playing my son asks,
"Mommy, did God make toys?"
Ok, I thought, this one is pretty easy and me being logical minded I could handle it.
"Well, no, honey. Technically people make toys but God makes people."
He ponders this by muttering to himself:
"People make toys, God makes people......who made God?"
I freeze. Shit! Is my first though. He didn't direct the question towards me, he was still muttering so perhaps he won't ask. Please don't ask me. Please don't ask me.
Thankfully he did not actually ask me. Pphew. Tough question successfully avoid. One point for mommy.
Then yesterday...he and I were not feeling well so we were cuddled on the chair. My husband was about to head out to run some errands when out of nowhere our little thinker asks:
"Why did God make us?"
My husband and I both freeze and exchanged panicked-wide-eyed glances.
Fuuuuuck! How do we answer that? Can we call someone for an answer? is the silently exchanged conversation. Then my oh so brave hubby says, "Well, I gotta go. Don't worry, I shout him a mean and yet panicked Wuss!! don't leave me! You're the catholic! look at him and he stayed. We tried the psychiatrist approach...
"Why do YOU think God made us?
And the little stinker didn't take the bait! Damn it! He just said he didn't know and waited for us to tell him why!
My husband tried the overly complex answer, Well, God made mommy to keep daddy company and he made daddy to keep mommy company and he made you to keep us both company."
Yeah, even I was confused by that. I on the other hand went for something basic,
"Ummm, well honey, God made us.....ummm.....so we could all be together"
"Oh. Otay." conversation over.
Pppphhhew! Thank G.....wait a minute.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Too funny! My husband and I aren't overly religious either. In fact, soon after Beau got baptized we stopped going to church, though not intentionally. I think your "so we could all be together" answer is pretty good for a kid. Hopefully his questions and your answers will occupy his mind for a while.
SOOO funny!!! I love it :)
kids are so funny, and i think your answers were perfect. i have no clue what i'd say in that situation...so good job! just wait until he asks where babies come from :)
I was thinking the same as Brandie! lol
YOU crack me up! I love this story. And I also think your answer was perfect.
Post a Comment